Monday, July 11, 2011

The Sound of the Apocalypse

So, it's been a while since I have been here.  Not sure anyone has missed me, but in case you have, I apologize. I have been very busy with a few things and have just not had the time to get around to keeping this up.  That doesn't mean that I haven't been going to shows, because I have.  And this week, I'm writing two posts to make up for lost time.

First, we'll start with a show that was very awesome to me because of how long I have liked the band and the fact that it was a reunion tour.  That band is the seminal post-rock, instrumental band: Godspeed You! Black Emperor.  The band that had taken a few years off to allow the members go in different directions; i.e. A Silver Mt. Zion.  These bands that were begun after GY!BE were great in their own right, but they were no where near the sheer emotional power that the original band was able to generate.

For this show, which happened way back in March, I got Andrew to come with me once again.  He wasn't too familiar with the band, but per usual, he was shoe-in to see a band that I had been talking up.  To be honest, it had been a couple of years since I had listened to GY!BE religiously, but I knew this was a show I couldn't miss.  And once again, I wasn't wrong.

The opener for GY!BE was a one man noise band from Canada.  The name was as memorable as the band.  I couldn't tell you who it was and I wouldn't want you to waste your time.  It appeared that there were actually people there for the band, although, they were surely seeing something in the music that must go way above my head.  (Or, they just wanted to be super alternative.  I'll assume the latter.)  The noise lasted, with no audible melody, for 30 minutes before he left the stage to begin preparations for the main act.

Once GY!BE began, it was like a tour de force of sheer beauty and power.  It was a glimpse inside the head of someone having a feverish nightmare.  The show started with a flickering screen with the word "Hope" blinking.  There was something so hopeless about the music, that to see the word blinking on the screen seemed ironic.  But, there was such conviction in the music, that you truly believed that in the music was hope and beauty, with little irony involved.

Mostly sitting on the stage, GY!BE proceeded to lay the music on with subliminal and ethereal images playing in the background.  The images ranged from burning objects and landfills to simple words and computer screens.  The crowd was deeply enthralled in the music and there was not much talking going on in the set with massive roars as each song bled into the next.  The band played my favorite song, "Moya" with the ease and conviction of a band that has been playing together for decades, however retaining the vigor of a young band yet to be jaded.

I was glad that this band reunited to play a handful of tours.  I was, and am still, glad that I was able to see them play a live show.  I don't think I could have ever imagined how incredibly well their music translates to the live venue.  As we were walking after the show Andrew described the music as the music of nightmares.  I  tend to think it's more the music of post-Apocalyptic days.  But, I guess in the end they are really both the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment