Monday, October 25, 2010

"Don't Act Like Your Family's a Joke"

What a week and weekend!  Monday- Two Cow Garage, Wednesday- The Extra Lens (review coming soon from the one and only Andrew), Saturday- #4 Auburn beats #6 LSU; Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit, and Sunday- Auburn is the new #1!!!!!

So, since this is all about music, we'll stick to just that.  And with that, I get to write about an exciting concert in which I saw Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit.  For those of you unfamiliar, Jason played in that band I may have talked about once or twice- Drive- By Truckers.  He was with them at a critical point in their careers and it has been argued by many that he was the best lyricist they had.  Now, I am not particularly in that camp, but I do think he is one hell of a guitarist and his lyrics (and voice) are pretty incredible.  

With that said, I had heard from my Dad that Jason Isbell was just amazing in concert.  My Dad and I have been liking the same music for quite a while now, and share the common thread of being absolutely hooked on DBT.  So, when I found out that Jason was coming up here for a show, I knew that I had to make it for my sake, and for the sake that my Dad might really kick my ass next time he saw me if I didn't.  So, I bought two tickets and got BnW to shimmy out of the serenity of Georgetown and into the craziness that is H Street and the Rock n Roll Hotel.  It was the right decision.

It was a Paste magazine tour which included Langhorne Slim.  Now, I was unfamiliar with Langhorne Slim, but I seemed to be mostly alone at this show.  He was really good as well, playing an alternative country that (and I hate to say this) the Avett Brothers should have become.  So, if you like alternative country, I would be more than sure that you would like this Langhorne Slim fella



Now, it was time for Jason Isbell.  To my heart's absolute joy, they started with "Decoration Day," which is one of my favorite songs of his when he was with DBT.  Jason was a great front man in a completely different way than say Craig Finn or Patterson Hood are.  He just demands your attention.  He has no real antics, but there is something about his demeanor that tells you he's there for business, so listen up.  And he had the crowd's attention, that's for sure.  By the time he reached a really great electric version of the beautiful "In a Razor Town," the crowd was completely amped.  Need I mention that he turned "Never Gonna Change" in "Stone Free" half way through?!  Or that he played "The Blue" or "Goddamn Lonely Love" or "Sittin on the Dock of the Bay"???

I tell you, and I mean this, Jason Isbell is an incredible musician.  By all means, he is as gifted as any guitarist out there, and a great lyricist as well.  And then, he sings with a soulful honesty that only a boy from Muscle Shoals area can really grasp.  I was excited enough about this show just to see that missing link from DBT.  But, his music alone can stand on it's own.  DBT was a great starting point for Jason, but you can really hear the difference in the music he makes without them.  Not that one is better than the other, it was just the right move for them to part ways.



To make matters that much better, I got to meet Jason after the show, and jesus, what a guy.  What a humble and completely appreciative musician.  I told him that I was from Pulaski, TN (which is only about an hour North of Muscle Shoals) and we had a great time talking about that.  It was interesting to get to talk with him and I cannot wait until the next time he even comes close to D.C.  I will be there, and you would be a damn fool not to go see him.  This tour is not to be missed!

                                 *Please note that's Jason's keyboardist, not just some creepy Asian dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment